Rudolph H.K. Cochius had been hired by LCol. Nangle to design Newfoundland war memorial parks in Europe. Originally from Holland, Cochius worked for the Montreal landscape architecture firm of Frederick G. Todd contracted to design Bowring Brothers Limited’s gift to the people of St. John’s commemorating the firm’s one hundredth business anniversary in 1911 – Bowring Park. Cochius moved to Newfoundland with his family and spent from May 1912 to March 1917 living at and working on the layout of Bowring Park. After the war, Cochius spent from 1922 to 1925 designing the Newfoundland war memorial parks, including Beaumont-Hamel Memorial Park which remains the only site to have kept intact all the trenches and battle scars. Each caribou stands atop Newfoundland granite and originally all the landscape plantings were from local, native plants. It was Cochius who chose the natural rocky outcrop site in Bowring Park for the caribou. At the unveiling, he was known to have remarked, “The location here is exactly what we had to try to make it at Beaumont Hamel.”