The National War Memorial in St. John’s, unveiled on 1 July, 1924 by Field-Marshall Earl Haig, pays homage to the Newfoundlanders who served in The Great War. A sailor of the Royal Naval Reserve looks west, holding a spyglass, and a Royal Newfoundland Regiment soldier looks east, holding a gun. Between these are a forester and a merchant mariner wearing oilskins. The sailor and soldier were created by sculptor Ferdinand Victor Blundstone (1882–1951); the forester and merchant mariner by Gilbert Bayes (1872 – 1953) and all were cast by E.J. Parlanti’s foundry in London, England.
At the Newfoundland War Memorial Park at Beaumont-Hamel, France the names of those lost at sea are cast on the Memorial to the Missing. This Memorial was also unveiled by Field-Marshall Earl Haig a year later on 1 July 1925. The Memorial to the Missing is replicated in Bowring Park in a peaceful setting near the caribou bronze statue.
A series of four stamps was issued by the Newfoundland Post Office on January 2, 1919, just over seven weeks after the Armistice was signed, to commemorate Newfoundlanders who served in the Royal Naval Reserve during WW1. They have a caribou head with the Latin inscription “ubique”, meaning “everywhere”. At the same time, an additional eight stamps were released for each of the major battles in which the Royal Newfoundland Regiment saw action.
These seamen, along with the men and women who served in other units, made Newfoundland truly proud of its role in The Great War.