"An Everlasting Tribute"
- LCol. Thomas Nangle: Royal Newfoundland Regiment Padre WW1
In St. John’s, on a Bowring Park trail near the Waterford River, a majestic bronze woodland caribou stag stands atop a natural rocky outcrop. The symbol of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and resilience of all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, it was designed in 1920 by British sculptor Basil Gotto, who served in Winchester, Hampshire, where he got to know members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. One of a set of identical bronze statues found on ‘The Trail of the Caribou’ at Gueudecourt, Masnieres, Beaumont-Hamel, Monchy-le-Preux in France and Courtrai in Belgium, as well as in Corner Brook, the Bowring Park caribou, with head thrown high in defiance, bugling his battle challenge, provides the opportunity on home soil; to honour the regimental esprit de corps, loyal comradeship and memory of loved ones wearing the caribou badge.