Major William Howe Greene purchased a sixth cast of caribou statue and donated it to Bowring Park. The youngest son of Charlotte Bowring (daughter of Benjamin Bowring) and John Howe Greene, Greene was born in England. A trained architect, he moved to St. John’s after the Great Fire of 1892 to help in the rebuilding of the city. Greene is credited with the design of Bank of Montreal Building, the Ayre and Sons Building, the Marshall Building, the original Bishop Feild School, and he modified the plans for Cabot Tower. He joined the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in August 1914 (at age 49) and became a musketry instructor in St. John’s. He went overseas in January 1916 and served at the Depot at Winchester for a further three and one-half years. It was there that he likely formed a friendship with Basil Gotto, who also was a musketry instructor.
The Bowring Park Caribou was the sixth bronze to be cast. Possibly the Newfoundland Government, unable to install one at Gallipoli at that time, would not purchase the sixth. Greene, a proud veteran, and first cousin to Sir Edgar Bowring (the donor of Bowring Park) had the caribou shipped to St. John’s. He had worked with Nangle and Gotto on the memorials in Europe and did not wish to deter from their importance to the Regiment, and thus his request for the unveiling to be a low-key event was honoured.