As part of a global network of wireless communications, the British Royal Navy commissioned the Marconi Telegraph Company to build a wireless station in Mount Pearl in November 1914, one of a series around the globe. Every detail of construction and operation was provided by the Admiralty. The call sign for HM Wireless Station Mount Pearl during WW1 was BZM (Bravo-Zulu-Mike). Built to transmit, receive and intercept secret naval messages, and to listen for ships in distress, it went into operation on September 16, 1915.
The British Admiralty also specified who the staff would be with the officer in charge being Commander MacDermott, and others from the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and Royal Naval Reserves. Marconi Company staff were assigned to the Royal Navy until naval staff could be trained to operate the station. Crew and reservists from HMS Calypso performed armed guard duty. Besides the antenna and supporting towers, there were buildings for stores and offices, a workshop, the transmitting and receiving plant, and residential quarters. Decommissioned in 1922, the antennas and high-powered transmitting equipment continued in use as a radio station. This station, BZM, is the last WW1 station standing and is home to the Admiralty House Communications Museum.