A Patriotic Committee was formed after the public meeting held on August 12th. That Committee was comprised of St. John’s clergy, merchants, politicians, labour organizations, newspaper editors, and doctors. The Patriotic Committee quickly became known as the Newfoundland Patriotic Association (NPA), and its committees were responsible for all aspects of recruiting, outfitting, training, and maintaining an army regiment.
On August 21, the governor issued an official proclamation, calling for volunteers to fight in "the greatest War in the history of the World." Men between 19 and 35 years of age were asked to report to the CLB Armoury or to the nearest magistrate to enlist for overseas service "for the duration of the war, but not exceeding one year." Passage to St. John’s was provided free of charge, and recruits were to be paid one dollar per day from the time of enrolment, the same rate of pay given to soldiers of the Canadian contingent.
The Church Lads’ Brigade Armoury on Harvey Road was placed at the disposal of the Government and became Regimental Headquarters. While there were recruiting efforts held in the communities around the country, most walked up the steps, through the arches, and into the Armoury to sign up.
The NPA had to start from scratch to meet the promised 500 recruits. The St. John’s newspapers in August 1914 were full of notices seeking supplies, reporting news of activities, and official notices and the headlines and stories give great insight into the makings of a regiment.
The vast majority of the early recruits were from St. John’s and throughout the war, the men of St. John’s did “their duty” and enlisted “for King and Country.” Pride, a sense of duty, and excitement was felt all over the city; not so much in the outports who were removed from it not only by geography, but by economics and the lack of contact from the NPA in most communities.